Sunday, December 4, 2016

God Works While We Wait

This was the theme of week one of Waiting Here For You - God works while we wait. It is a beautiful thought, isn't it? The God of this universe is at work - orchestrating something wonderful, beyond our imagination. I forget this. I am so easily distracted from the truth as I focus inward on myself and my own struggles. 

Look up. God is working.

It is comforting and sets my heart at ease as I remember that while I wait God is literally moving heaven and earth to work out His perfect purpose for me and for this world. Not a moment is wasted. And most certainly not for a moment am I forgotten or left behind. There is nothing, no piece of bad news, no struggle, no hurt or loss that can change the course of His working. 

"But when the fullness of time had come, God sent forth His Son, born of a woman, born under the law, so that He might redeem those who were under the law and give them the adoption as sons of the Father." {Galatians 4:4&5}

This passage in particular stuck with me through out the week. That phrase, "when the fullness of time had come..." God never works on our timeline. He has His own plan. He isn't dragging His feet, He hasn't forgotten. He's working. While we wait, He works. 

When the fullness of time had come all those Christmases ago, He gave the most perfect gift - Jesus Christ. Not a moment too early or a moment too late. After 400 years of silence God broke through the darkness, as a baby, as Emmanuel, as God with us, as our Savior. The wait was over, but not until just the right moment.

As I have prayed this week, asking God for those things I so desperately long for and even tire of waiting for I was reminded to add "but only when the fullness of time has come" because I know He is creating something magnificent. He is unfolding a plan that will be for His glory and for my good. And it will come at just the right time. It is what I so desperately want even when I don't fully understand.

And then...

A THRILL OF HOPE

as I remember that "Long lay the world in sin and error pining. Till HE appeared and the soul felt its worth. A THRILL OF HOPE, the weary world rejoices. For yonder breaks a new and glorious morn. Fall on your knees! O hear the angel voices. O night divine. O night when Christ was born." {O Holy Night}

It fills my heart with great hope to remember how God broke the silence with the birth of our Savior. It is reminder that He will come through in my waiting. He is working. And I am filled with hope remembering that when the fullness of time has come, all of these things I am waiting for will be clear to me. God will be glorified and I will fall on my knees. 

[Please remember that these are my thoughts as I work through Louie Giglio's book Waiting Here For You. He began the thought there and as I read I reflected here. My hope is that you will be encouraged and I highly recommend you read the book for yourself. It can be purchased here: Waiting Here For You]


No comments: