Saturday, January 5, 2013

Grandpa

Tonight, in Florida, my dear Grandpa is living his last moments here on this earth. Family members have rushed to his side to be with him as he breathes his last breath here in this broken, sin ridden place. He will soon be with the One he loves, with unveiled face he will see Jesus.

What joy!

What joy for him as he leaves this filth, this world that is so messed up. He leaves a body that has failed him, a mind that has forgotten most of his family and much of his past and present. He leaves us, his children and his grandchildren. It is time now to say goodbye, not a forever goodbye, but a goodbye nonetheless. 

What sorrow!

What sorrow for us as we learn to live without this man we love so much. 

"Death is swallowed up in victory. O death, where is your victory? O death, were is your sting?"

What victory! As my grandpa walks from darkness into the Light of Jesus' arms. And he will soon join the angels in saying "Worthy is the Lamb who was slain, to receive power and wealth and wisdom and might and honor and glory and blessing!" (Rev. 5:12)

Because I can't be there with him, hold his hand, comfort him, or say my goodbye, I have turned to the only way I can think to honor and remember him now...my words. Please forgive my ramblings...but I want to tell you a small bit about the man I call Grandpa...

When I was young (and my grandparents were young too) I would anticipate the arrival of Grandma and Grandpa's annual summer visit with excitement, happiness, and a dust rag. Mom would be cleaning the house like a crazy lady which meant we needed to clean too. Every corner of the house was vacuumed and dusted, everything would be in its place and then we would wait. Wait to see their silver car pull into our driveway. It was as exciting as Christmas. 

They came with boxes and boxes of peaches from Georgia. For the next several days we would have peaches on our cereal every morning and peach pie after dinner every night. Grandma was always in the kitchen making us something delicious and Grandpa was always busy tinkering around the house, clipping coupons, and running out to the grocery store to pick up the things Grandma needed. 

I remember waking up one summer morning, no one else was up - except for Grandpa. He was sitting on the living room floor - still in his pajamas - clipping coupons as the warm summer sun poured through the window. 

His unshaven face was prickly with grey white hairs. His light blue pajamas worn out and faded. I kneel beside him and inquire about what he is doing. Grandpa had what seemed like thousands of coupons. He clipped them diligently and organized them in folders. He shares his filing system with me and then asks if I want some breakfast. Of course I do, so we move to the kitchen and he pours me a bowl of cereal, meticulously peels a peach and slices it over my breakfast. It was the best way to start a summer day.

I remember crawling into the back of Grandpa's car with my sister, the seats hot from the summer sun, seat belt buckle burning my hand as I buckle in...the three of us were off to the grocery store to buy whatever it was Grandma needed and a few extra things too. On the ride to the store Grandpa would begin singing this silly song. He knew all the words, but all I remember is:

Bullfrog sittin' on a lily pad lookin' up at the sky
The lily pad broke and the frog fell in, got water in his eye.
O, it ain't gonna rain no mo, no mo, ain't gonna rain no more
How the heck can I wash my neck if it ain't gonna rain no more?

We'd sing the song all the way there and all the way home. I always wondered what in the world it was about. The best part was the last line because we got to say "heck" and not get in trouble. 

Did he know when singing that silly Bullfrog song he was knitting my heart to his, making memories with me I would never forget? Did he know that as he sliced those peaches over my cereal he was creating a childhood worth remembering? Did he know that when he called Grandma "Darlin'" and teased her relentlessly he made this little girl dream of knowing a love just like theirs? Did he know that when he chose Jesus he provided me with a Godly heritage? Did he know that when he chose to live his life to honor his Heavenly Father, he became a light to his granddaughter, an example of her Heavenly Father's love for her?



My grandpa will be remembered for many things. He was a war hero, an amazing husband and father, an excellent businessman, a servant in his church, a giving friend, and the list goes on. But I know that my grandpa would not desire to be remembered for these things. Because my grandpa would proclaim with Paul, "Indeed, I count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord." (Philippians 3:8)

None of these accolades are what he will declare to God Almighty when he reaches the gates of heaven. No, he will fall on his face and proclaim the Name of Jesus, the very Son of God, who knew no sin but took his sin so that he could have eternal life, who shed HIS blood so that he might know HIM and live with Him forever!

So what I want to shout to all the world (or at least the 3 of you who are reading my blog) is that my grandpa LOVES JESUS! Because of Jesus his life had purpose, because of Jesus he was a hero, an amazing husband and father, an excellent businessman, a servant in his church, and a giving friend. Because of Jesus I know that I will be with my grandpa again. Because of Jesus I can declare "Death is swallowed up in victory!" and very soon my grandpa will experience this victory in its fullest!

1 comment:

Linda M said...

I can only pray that my grandchildren will remember me as you do your grandpa and that they will all be sure that we will meet again!